(Sausage & Pepper Pies) – Makes 8 Pies
4 teaspoons of olive oil
1 lb sausage casing removed (original recipe calls for turkey sausage, but we use hot Italian sausage)
2 cubanelle peppers (or just some spicy green pepper), seeded and sliced
2 red pepper, seeded and sliced
2 (or 1.5) medium red onion, sliced
4 gloves of garlic (about 6 or 7 tsp minced garlic)
2 tubes (13.8 oz each) of refrigerated pizza crust
Shredded Italian blend cheese
Marinara sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 425º. Coat 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add sausage and cook, breaking up, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onion, and cook 6 minutes or until sausage is cooked and vegetables softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Unroll the dough onto a floured surface. Cut the square/rectangle dough into 4 equal pieces (so, quarter the rolled out dough). Place each piece on the cookie sheet and spoon in the sausage/veggie mix on each. Sprinkle some cheese on top of each pile of sausage/veggie mix.
- Fold one corner of the dough over to meet the other, forming a triangle, with the meat, veggies, and cheese sealed in the middle. Be careful not to rip the dough, and pinch the edges together to seal in the contents.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until golden. Serve marinara sauce on the side as a dip if desired.
Note: this recipe can obviously be tweaked to include all kinds of good fillings. Get creative!