If you’re like me, you find yourself running out of the door in the mornings, lucky if you have your shoes on the right foot, let alone having had time to fix and eat breakfast. And then I found this recipe.
There’s a simple list of ingredient: eggs + whatever you want. Essentially, you’re making mini, personal omelets in your muffin pan. Here’s what I used:
- green onions
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- crumbled bacon
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Cajun seasoning
For a regular sized muffin pan (with 12 muffins), use 10-12 eggs. I used 10 because I had so much other veggies and cheese and mine that no more egg would fit in the pan!
The process is simple:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Spray your muffin pan with cooking oil (you can also use muffin liners, but spray them, too).
- layer your ingredients: bacon/ham, diced veggies, shredded cheese
- beat your eggs in a large bowl and put in any spices you’d like (I just used Cajun seasoning) and put the eggs into something you can pour out of.
- Pour your eggs over the other ingredients in each of the muffin spots. Don’t fill them completely (probably only about 3/4 of the way), because the eggs will rise as they cook.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes, or until the eggs have risen and are slightly brown and set.
Then, either eat them all (as I was tempted to do), or fill up some ziploc bags with two each, stash them in the fridge (they’ll stay good for at least a week in the fridge), and then you can grab instant breakfast on your way out the door in the mornings. And even better, they’re not bad for you!
Original recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen Blog, here.