I know everyone has their own meatloaf recipe, and probably everybody thinks theirs is the best. Well, I’m here to provide yet another “best meatloaf” recipe. This is the one that my Nanny (Southern for “grandmother” – I didn’t actually have a nanny) and Mama make.
- Ground Meat – 2 pounds
- ½ onion (or 1 small one), chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 1 egg per pound of meat
- about ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
- salt & garlic pepper (to taste)
- 1 can of Rotels (not drained)
- approximately one cup of oatmeal
- about 8 oz of ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix all ingredients together and then place into large (9×13) pan.
- Don’t pack the loaf tightly, just shape it.
- Cook until done (approximately 30-45 minutes)
Directions for the Glaze:
- 4 tbs of hot salsa
- 4 tbs of ketchup
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1.5 tbs brown sugar
- splash (or splashes) of Worcestershire
Mix the above and pour half over the meatloaf for the last 15-20 minutes of baking time. Use the remaining half to pour over your meatloaf while eating it.
Side Note: the glaze is not my Nanny’s recipe, but one that we got from a friend, and it is so good!