I wanted to name this “Holy Crap These Are Freakin Awesome Coconut Chicken Tacos w/ Mango-Cilantro Salsa” but it wouldn’t all fit in the title box.
Total Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
Makes about 6 tacos.
Ingredients for the Mango-Cilantro Salsa:
- 2 mangos- diced (there were no mangos in Buffalo in October – imagine that – so we just used a 15 oz can of tropical fruit salad, with the juice drained – but also chop up the fruit chunks into smaller pieces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove-minced (about 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic)
- Minced onions to taste—we added about two tablespoons (about 1/8 of an onion)
Make the salsa first by combining all of the above ingredients, and then just setting the bowl in the fridge until the chicken is done and you’re ready to make the tacos.
Coconut Chicken Taco Ingredients:
- 3-4 boneless chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer the good ol dry, white meat)
- Coconut Oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- Fajita-sized tortillas
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Chopped lettuce
1. Cut chicken thighs into strips.
2. Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the another bowl, add flour and one tablespoon of shredded coconut.
4. Pat chicken strips dry and start dipping into the egg bowl first, then the flour bowl, making sure to coat them fully with both eggs and flour. After coated with flour, place on plate until all chicken strips have been through the coating process.
5. Heat up some coconut oil (maybe like 3-5 tablespoons) in a medium-sized frying pan. Make sure your oil is hot enough to cook with, but not too hot where your chicken burns right away—ours was fine at medium heat setting. Cook three or four strips at a time. Each strip will cook at a different time than the next due to different size and thicknesses, but it should be approximately three minutes. Once a side is a nice golden brown, flip chicken over for another three minutes until cooked fully. Place cooked chicken aside and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Your tacos are now ready to be assembled.
6. Top tortilla with lettuce, chicken and mango salsa! I bet a side of black beans or a margarita would go great with this tropical delight!
Original recipe from http://www.simplyrealmoms.com, here.